Tuesday, December 18, 2007

child sponsorship through world vision

I am, as of today, the proud foster parent of 5 year old Everline Alupo of Uganda.

I was walking through the mall, finishing up my xmas shopping. I was approaching the World Vision booth that was set up in the corridor and as I was passing I made very brief eye contact with the older woman manning the booth. I stopped dead in my tracks just beyond the booth then turned and went back. The woman was absolutely ecstatic that I was interested. She told me how the program works and how rewarding it is. Then I looked through the pictures and read the stories of the children. It's hard to look at those faces and not be able to help them all. I decided that I wanted to sponsor a child from Africa, then I saw her little face peeking out from the back row of photo cards that were standing on the table, I picked up the card, she was the one. She is from a community that has been ravaged by AIDS, she is not infected. Her father is dead and her mother has no regular work and has to seek out work wherever she can. My sponsorship will provide not only for her but for her family and her community.

I originally thought that it would be a perfect gift for my mom, as she's always wanted to sponsor a child. It's $40 per month and I wasn't sure if my mom would appreciate receiving a gift that comes with a bill every month without having consulted her first. So, I decided that I would sponsor a child of my own and ask her if she'd like to pay half the monthly fee. If not, that's OK. I'm happy that I went back to the World Vision booth. I'm looking forward to seeing Everline grow up.

No comments: