Saturday, December 22, 2007

oh xmas tree, oh xmas tree

N brought an xmas tree home yesterday. We've never had a tree before as we've never really had the space, we still don't. I guess a co worker's grandma owns an xmas tree farm and brought a bunch in to work, so N grabbed one. We borrowed a tree stand and today I went out to buy all the trimmings.

I must admit, I'm glad we have it. I haven't really been feeling in the xmas spirit this year for some reason. It seemed to come very fast this year. I'm done all my shopping, but it felt empty walking through malls and department stores. I think part of the problem was that we didn't have anything here at home to make it seem all xmassy. Now we've got a lit up tree. I feel somewhat better.

I must admit that I hate the process of xmas shopping. I generally start pretty early cause I hate shopping in crowded stores, walking behind some slow ass people and not being able to pass cause the damn place is packed to the tits with human flesh. I hate it.

The consumerism and eventual waste that is the aftermath of xmas makes me depressed. I bought recycled reusable cloth gift bags this year, so I don't have to use much wrapping paper.
I'm not saying I'm not part of the consumer bloodbath, but I'm conscious of it, and try to reduce my participation in it.

Next year I might try something different for xmas. Go completely green or give donations to great organizations in everyone's name.

No comments: